Antibiotics and Modern Medicine
I was asked today about the uses of antibiotics, and why one might prefer not to use them. Are there good alternatives? Is it ok to give to babies?
Whilst we have much to be grateful for in modern medicine, I feel it’s time to call it: it’s gone wayyy too far. You cannot assume that taking pills and injecting medicines is going to ultimately make you healthy. I don’t personally think they are necessary in many cases – the AMA came out saying they should be used less. For me, there are plenty of natural things that are potent and don’t destroy your liver or your gut flora. I like to take a preventative approach – they do really work to support you to STAY healthy. Research is showing how incredibly powerful alternative options are. Science says alternatives are cool.
Things to Consider
Always talk to your GP of course and get their advice and some insight into what will be the best course of action for you.
If you do feel the need to use antibiotics you (and your GP) need to weigh up their use against some downsides:
- A human body is 90% microbes so my feeling is it’s best to avoid killing 90% of what makes you function…your microbiome is resposible for many biochemical reactions in your body, including helping to make your neurotransmitters (the things that help your nerves communicate – kinda important).
- 80% of your immune system is in the gut – take care of the gut and you are likely able to fight off most things that come your way with a fully-functional immune system. Don’t have one (immune system I mean), have a look at the book Gut & Psychology Syndrome for a way to restore gut health.
- Most issues are viral, which antibiotics can do zilch about but are still often prescribed none-the-less
- Interestingly, there is a lot of scientific research out there supporting the use of vitamin C
- Pure Essential oils are incredibly powerful – we have been brainwashed to think nature is some weak diluted useless thing and science and medicine jumped in to save the day – the first drugs came from nature and now we create synthetics modelled on nature. Don’t be fooled.
- Research has shown that giving antibiotics under the age of 5 increases risk of obesity.
This information is to firstly, help you make a balanced decision, but then also be aware of what you may need to correct if and when you have finished your course of antibiotics – repair that gut health as quick as you can!
Let’s just clarify: Pain killers do not remove pain, they interfere with your brain chemistry to block any signals regarding the pain you are experiencing. Studies have shown regular use can inhibit kids from developing the ability to experience empathy. That’s kinda scary. Research has suggested links between paracetamol use during pregnancy and autism (as are many, many factors, but still…) – the jury is probably still out on this one but it’s worth doing some research…
Everything in Moderation?
Now I might say everything in moderation and it’s ok to use all of the above if you REALLY need something, but the thing is I KNOW that there are natural alternatives that WORK for me and my family. My kids are really healthy – we live a gut-nourishing, low-tox lifestyle and they generally have some pretty amazing immune systems.
I use a holistic approach for anything that comes a-knocking. It might take a little while to be confident of lots of natural suggestions but seriously, I was in your shoes 7 years ago. I really was. . if I can learn, pretty sure anyone can. I am not saying I have it all figured out, I’m just saying that natural has been given a bad name and there’s a multi-billion dollar reason why. I welcome you to request essential oil samples from me. I welcome you to question and do more research. I ask you to just …think about it…
Not sure where to start? Here are some of my fav alternatives:
Colloidal silver – natural cleansing
Camu camu – high in the natural form of Vitamin C, slip into smoothies and bliss balls if the kids are ever fighting something off
Peppermint essential oil – for it’s amazing cooling properties if your little one if fighting something…and can I just say, if my head is bugging me. THIS is my answer.
Hormonal struggles – Maca powder in my smoothies and Clary Sage essential oil on my belly (or I can recommend an FANTASTIC blend of EOs that has saved me so much!
Bug bites and stings – my kids know to reach for the soothing Lavender oil every time!
Need something specific? Just ASK! Would love to help you begin your natural journey…and who knows where you’ll be 7 years from now!